Cambridge Lodge

No. 66, A.F. & A.M.

Making Good Men Better Since 1819

Cambridge, Maryland · Eastern Shore

Est. 1819

About Our Lodge

A fraternal tradition spanning more than two centuries on Maryland's Eastern Shore

Cambridge Lodge No. 66, Free and Accepted Masons, is a fraternal organization dedicated to the principles of Freemasonry and service to our community. Operating under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Maryland, we carry forward a tradition of fellowship and charity that extends back to 1780, when the first Masonic lodge was established in Dorchester County during the American Revolution.

Brotherly Love

We foster genuine fellowship and mutual respect among our members, creating bonds that extend beyond the lodge walls and into the Cambridge community.

Relief

We are committed to supporting those in need, both within our fraternity and throughout the Eastern Shore, through charitable works and community service.

Truth

We pursue knowledge, wisdom, and personal growth through reflection, education, and the practice of moral virtue in our daily lives.

Freemasonry in Dorchester County

Over 245 years of Masonic tradition in Cambridge, Dorchester County

The First Lodge: Lodge No. 29 (1780–1792)

The history of Freemasonry in Cambridge reaches back to the American Revolution. In April 1780, the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania issued a warrant to establish Lodge No. 29 at Cambridge, the first Masonic lodge in Dorchester County. Thomas Bourke served as the first Master.

This lodge played a pivotal role in forming the independent Grand Lodge of Maryland in 1787, at which point it was renumbered Lodge No. 5. The lodge became dormant around 1792.

Revival: St. John's Lodge No. 18 (1795–1805)

Former members of Lodge No. 5 revived the fraternity on October 21, 1795, as St. John's Lodge No. 18. Among its officers was Josiah Bailey, Junior Warden, who would later become Attorney-General of Maryland. The lodge ceaased operations around 1805, but the Masonic spirit in Cambridge endured.

Cambridge Lodge No. 66: A New Beginning (1819)

After more than a decade of dormancy, Masonry in Cambridge was reborn. Cambridge Lodge No. 66 held its first meeting under dispensation on February 8, 1819, and received its charter from the Grand Lodge of Maryland on May 4, 1819.

"This room was in an old house, built on brick columns, the lower part open and used as a shelter for carriages, the upper room being used for the Lodge meetings. It stood near the middle of the back yard of the present Cambridge Hotel." - History of Freemasonry in Maryland, Edward T. Schultz (1884)

The first Master was Dr. Clement Stanford of Vienna, Dorchester County. The founding Stewards were instructed to furnish at every meeting "one pint of French brandy, three bottles of porter and 25 cents worth of cigars," a charming glimpse into the fellowship of the era.

The Civil War and Perseverance

During the Civil War, Cambridge Lodge faced grave challenges. Brother William H. Jordan, with extraordinary devotion, personally funded the lodge's Grand Lodge dues and expenses from his own modest means to keep it alive. His sacrifice ensured that Masonry survived in Cambridge through the nation's darkest hours.

A Permanent Home

In 1874, the lodge embarked on building a permanent Masonic Hall. The cornerstone was laid on June 11, 1874, with Grand Lodge officers and visiting lodges from Baltimore in attendance. The hall, a brick structure at the corner of Poplar and High Streets costing approximately $6,500, was dedicated on June 16, 1875.

In 1921, the lodge made its most significant investment: purchasing the building at 439 Race Street for $30,000 and investing an additional $20,000 in renovations. Members welcomed their new lodge home in 1922, and this historic building has served as the heart of Cambridge Masonry for over 100 years.

Legacy of Service

For over two centuries, Cambridge Lodge No. 66 has served as a gathering place for men dedicated to the principles of Freemasonry. From colonial-era revolutionaries to Civil War governors, and from community leaders to faithful stewards, our members have shaped the history of the Eastern Shore. Today, we continue the tradition established by those pioneers, dedicated to making good men better.

Visit & Connect

We welcome all who seek the light of Masonry

Lodge Information

🏢 Cambridge Lodge No. 66, A.F. & A.M.
📍 439 Race Street, Cambridge, MD 21613
P.O. Box 791, Cambridge, MD 21613-0791
🏛 Grand Lodge of Maryland, F. & A.M.

Stated Communications are held on designated dates throughout the year. Contact the lodge or visit the Grand Lodge website for the current schedule.

Interested in Joining?

Freemasonry welcomes men of good character who seek fellowship, personal growth, and community service. If you are interested in learning more about the craft and what membership means, we invite you to inquire.

The Grand Lodge of Maryland maintains a formal inquiry process for prospective members. All you need to do is ask.

Express Your Interest